JOAN M. HANSEN, PWS
Professional Wetlands Scientist, Botanist
For 13 years (1987-2001), Joan Hansen worked for Malcolm Pirnie Engineering focusing on wetlands delineation, assessment and characterization, wetlands mitigation design, biological surveys, natural resource inventories, habitat restoration on landfills and worked with state and federal permitting agencies. For the last 15 years, she has continued to consult for state, municipal, and private business. Hansen also manages a native plant seed production facility in New York State for the Pinelands Nursery, a well known supplier of plant material for wetland mitigation and construction projects.
Rutgers University, Cook College of Agriculture & Environmental Science, BS,
Environmental Science, 1987
Completed additional course training:
- Army Corps of Engineering Wetland Delineation Techniques
- Wetland Evaluation Technique, Version 2.0
- Habitat Evaluation Procedures
- Freshwater Wetland Construction
- Bioengineering/Streambank Stabilization
A sampling of relevant experience includes:
- Marsh Resources, Inc. 2001-Present: Contracted to conduct post-construction monitoring for 200-acre intertidal wetlands mitigation site.
- Borough of Ridgefield, NJ, Conducted Environmental Resource Inventory.
- NJ Conservation Trust, 2009-2014: Collected heritage seeds of native marsh plants in the Hackensack Meadowlands.
- New Jersey Meadowlands Commission, Post-mitigation monitoring for four constructed wetlands mitigation projects in the New Jersey Hackensack Meadowlands District.
- New Jersey Meadowlands Commission, Vegetation inventory of three undeveloped land parcels in the Hackensack Meadowlands.
- NJ Conservation Trust, 2010-2014: Post-mitigation monitoring of wetlands site.
- Pinelands Nursery, Columbus, NJ, 2010-Present: Manage a native plant seed production facility in New York State.
- URS Corporation, Identified wetland mitigation sites to offset construction impacts at Teterboro Airport/Hackensack River Watershed.
- Provided habitat characterization of sites, contributed to and reviewed proposed mitigation plans for selected sites.