WILLIAM R. BOYCE, IV
NY – Regis
tered Landscape Architect
NJ – Licensed Landscape Architect
William Boyce has worked in the field of landscape architecture for more than 20 years. He has been involved in all aspects of landscape design from design conceptualization to installation. Mr. Boyce’s design work has ranged from traditional residential landscape designs to large scale corporate and residential landscapes. Through his work with New Jersey’s Hackensack Meadowlands Development Commission, Mr. Boyce has also developed an expertise in the field of wetlands restoration and mitigation. By working on both private and government sponsored wetland jobs, Mr. Boyce has had the opportunity to design wetland mitigation and enhancement plans ranging from a thousand square feet to more than 200 acres.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
School of Architecture and Urban Planning
BLA, Landscape Architecture 1994
Summa Cum Laude
– Honors Program, studied under Dr. John Cairns, Pioneer in the field of Environmental Restoration
As the owner and principal landscape architect of his own firm established in 1995, Mr. Boyce has designed and overseen the installation of numerous wetland mitigation and restoration projects. These include projects proposed as mitigation to successfully gain permit approval for applications involving wetland encroachment, as well as in response to violation citations issued by various State and local agencies. Mr. Boyce is adept at working in both freshwater and tidal regulated wetlands.
Representative examples include the creation of new wetlands as mitigation for a major industrial/office park in Orange County, NY, a wetlands restoration plan in response to a NYSDEC tidal wetland violation in Queens, NY, and a wetlands restoration plan in response to a NYSDEC freshwater wetlands violation in Dutchess County, NY. In achieving successful results, Mr. Boyce’s knowledge of brackish wetland systems, freshwater systems, social significance factors, wildlife significance and construction feasibility has been key.
New Jersey Meadowlands Commission, East Rutherford, NJ
Wetlands Group / Park Planning / Landscape Architect, 1995-2000
Representative projects included:
- Wetland Mitigation – permitting, design, baseline studies analysis, construction documentation (CAD drawings and technical specifications), bidding, and construction management of numerous projects ranging in size from 15 acres to 200+ acres.
- Aided in the development of NJDEP and ACOE permit applications.
- Mill Creek Design Development and Construction Documentation. Improvements to a 139-acre tidally flowed brackish wetland included the movement of +/- 400,000 yards of soil to create sinuous channels and impoundments. Upland areas were amended with native plantings and nature trails, outdoor classrooms and signage.
- Park Planning – Responsibilities included the development of passive recreational park facilities in and around Dekorte Park.
- Part of a team responsible for the development of the Meadows Path, a 22-mile Urban Trail Network throughout the Meadowlands District.
- Implementation of the native plant patches on Landfills initiative.
- Waterfront Development Permit Preparation and Processing
Greenbelt Associates, Inc., Saddle River, NJ
Landscape Architect / Project Manager 1990-1996
Detention Pond Rehabilitation
Corporate landscape designs
Residential landscape designs
LICENSING, AWARDS AND HONORS
2007 Professional Landscape Architect, NYRLA 002080
2002 NJ ASLA Chapter Award – Team Member for NJMC Entrance Courtyard
1997 NJ Business and Development Excellence Award
1996 Professional Landscape Architect, NJCLA AS00773
1993-1994 ASLA Merit Award recipient
1993 NJ Monthly 5th Annual Commercial / Institutional Design Competition, First Place