Ernie Wiegand started his impressive career as a professor of geology and archaeology at Norwalk Community College in 1975, where he continues to this day. Since 1981, Mr. Wiegand has also applied his skills in conducting more than 100 archaeological investigations in conjunction with land development applications. Many of these investigations have been as part of environmental impact assessments conducted under New York SEQRA regulations. Mr. Wiegand has consistently been able to produce a high quality professional product at a reasonable cost.
Primary services offered by this consortium member can be found on the following page (click on link):
Hunter College, CUNY, M.A. in Anthropology, 1982.
University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut. B.A. in Forestry Recreation, minor in Social Sciences, 1972
Independent Consulting Archaeologist
1981 to Present
Design, implementation and reporting of archaeological studies required in the preparation of environmental impact statements.
Norwalk Community College, Norwalk, CT
Professor in Archaeology and Geology, 1975-2011
Full Professor since 1998
Research has included fieldwork at over 25 local prehistoric and historic archaeological sites and an ongoing prehistoric site survey of Fairfield and Westchester Counties which has led to the discovery and documentation of over 200 sites.
Mount Lebanon Shaker Village Archaeological Project Field Director, 1985-1986
Duties included the planning, direction and reporting of the archaeological survey of the North Family complex under the direction of Dr. Michael D. Coe of Yale University. Project conducted for Mount Lebanon Shaker Village and funded by a grant from the New York State Natural Heritage Trust.
- 1975-2011 Board of Directors, Archaeological Society of Connecticut.
- 1989-2004 Board of Directors, Mount Lebanon Shaker Village.
- 1990-93 State of Connecticut Native American Heritage Advisory Council.
- 1982-86 Board of Trustees, Material Archives and Laboratory for Archaeology, Katonah, New York.
- Society for American Archaeology
- Society for Historical Archaeology
- Archaeological Society of Connecticut
- 1983 Russell Memorial Award, Archaeological Society of Connecticut.
- 2009 “Between a Rock and a Wet Place: The Use of Rockshelters in Connecticut.” Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Connecticut 71:117-136.
- 2005 “Norwalk Community College’s Archaeology as an Avocation Program: the contributions of the Citizen Archaeologist to Historic Preservation. Bulletin 67:85-97.
- 1998 A Unique Prehistoric Vessel from Stamford, Connecticut. Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Connecticut 61:21-25.
- 1987 The Prehistoric Ceramics of Southwestern Connecticut: An Overview and Reevaluation. Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Connecticut 50:23-42.
- 1986 Mount Lebanon Shaker Village Archaeological Project: the North Family Survey. Prepared for Mount Lebanon Shaker Village, New Lebanon, New York.
- 1985 Archaeological Investigations at the North Family Brethrens’ Workshop, Mount Lebanon Shaker Village, New Lebanon, New York. Paper presented at the 1986 Annual Meeting of the Society for Historical Archaeology, Sacramento, California.
- 1983 Rockshelters of Southwestern Connecticut: their Prehistoric Occupation and Use. Norwalk Community College Press, Norwalk, Connecticut.
- 1982 The Southwestern Connecticut Rockshelter Survey. M.A. thesis on file at Hunter College, CUNY.
- 1980 The Rockrimmon Rockshelter. Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Connecticut 42:15-28.
- 1978 The Athena Site. New York State Archaeological Association Bulletin 74:10-25.
- 1977 The Rizzo Site. Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Connecticut 40:5-10.
CULTURAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT REPORTS
- 2010 Stage 1 Archaeological Reconnaissance Survey – 188 Round Hill Road Subdivision, Greenwich, Ct. Prepared for the S.E. Minor Co., Greenwich, Ct.
- 2008 Phases 1B and 2 of the Boesky Subdivision, Sarles Road, New Castle, N.Y.
- 2006 Stage 3 Archaeological Investigations – Pound Ridge Golf Club Prehistoric Sites, Pound Ridge, New York. Prepared for U.S.Summit Co., 600 Third Ave., New York City, N.Y.
- 2005 Phase 1 Archaeological Reconnaissance Survey of the ZAT Construction Corporation Site Development, #76 N.Y.S. Route 6, Yorktown, Westchester County, N.Y. Prepared for the ZAT Construction Corporation, Peekskill, N.Y.
- 2005 Phases 2 and 3 Archaeological Investigations of the Linen Site, Richmond Hill Road, Greenwich, Connecticut. Prepared for Dibico Construction of Connecticut, Greenwich, Connecticut.
- 2000 Stage 2 Intensive Archaeological Survey – Rippowam-Cisqua High School, Town of Bedford, Westchester County, N.Y.
- 1993 Stage 3 Archaeological Data Recovery Program: Dutchess Valley Rod & Gun Club Prehistoric Sites #2, 3 & 6.
- 1992 Stage 3 Archaeological Data Recovery Program, Little Lake Prehistoric Site #2, Little Lake Estates, Towns of New Castle and Cortlandt, New York.
- 1992 Stage 1-A Cultural Resources Survey of the Putnam Valley Sludge Treatment Project, Town of Putnam Valley, Putnam County, New York.
- 1989 Phase 2 Archaeological Survey of the Comstock Brook Prehistoric Archaeological Sites. Prepared for the U.S.D.A. Soil Conservation Service, Storrs, Connecticut.
- 1988 Historic Properties Review: Structure 7 of the Norwalk River Watershed, Wilton, Connecticut. Prepared for the U.S.D.A. Soil Conservation Service, Storrs, Connecticut.
- 1986 Phase 1A Archaeological Survey of the Proposed Westage Development, Fishkill, New York.
- 1984 Archaeological Reconnaissance for the IBM Corporation’s Wastewater Conveyance Facilities and Village of Ossining Sewer System Rehabilitation.
- 2006 Phases 2 and 3 Archaeological Investigations – Cherry Hill Farm Prehistoric Sites #1-3, Taconic Road, Greenwich, Connecticut. Prepared for Antares Construction Corporation, Greenwich, Connecticut.
- 2006 Phase 1 Archaeological Reconnaissance Survey and Phase 2 Intensive Archaeological Survey – Rock Rimmon Estates, 957 Rock Rimmon Road, Stamford, Connecticut. Prepared for New Dinamax LLC, Stamford, Connecticut.
- 2006 Phases 1 and 2 Archaeological Investigations – 109 Byram Shore Road, Greenwich, Connecticut. Prepared for Greenwich Oceanfront Properties LLC, Stamford, Connecticut.
- 2005 Phase 1 Archaeological Reconnaissance Survey – Mahackeno Outdoor Center, Rices Lane, Westport, Connecticut. Prepared for the Westport/Weston YMCA, Westport, Connecticut.
- 2005 Phase 1 Archaeological Reconnaissance Survey of the Harsche Subdivision, 626 Redding Road, Redding, Connecticut.
- 2005 Phase 1 Archaeological Reconnaissance Survey – Bookmark at Southport, Fairfield, Connecticut.
- 1996 Stage 1 Cultural Resource Survey – Darrow School Wastewater System, Mount Lebanon, New York.
- 1996 Stage 2 Intensive Archaeological Survey of the Verplanck Landing Site, Town of Fishkill, Putnam County, New York. Prepared for Old Salem Development, North Salem, New York.
- 1995 Stage 3 Archaeological Investigations: Somers Golf Course Prehistoric Sites #1 and #2, Angle-brook Golf Club, Somers, New York.
- 1993 Stage 3 Archaeological Data Recovery Program: Dutchess Valley Rod & Gun Club Prehistoric Sites #2, 3 & 6. Prepared for Castagna Realty Co., Manhasset, New York.
A complete listing of over 100 reports is available upon request.